Kamenov House for Creative Thinking
A unique place to think, write, create
and live in an authentic rural environment
Why Kamenov House?
If you need to get away from it all to create or innovate, to get some privacy and not be bothered by anyone, or to break away from your daily routine in the city; if you wish to discover and enjoy the countryside and a village ambience to hatch your next idea, to write, or to just have a “meeting with yourself”, then the Kamenov House for Creative Thinking is the ideal place for you!
The Uniqueness of Kamenov House
The house exudes a special creative energy as it was the place where Prof. Dr. Dimitar Kamenov (1939-2014) – inspiring educator, deep thinker, social innovator and respected author – worked on his many publications and projects, stimulated by nature, his family roots and the local community. He was a pioneer in establishment of the industrial and labour relations system in Bulgaria.
His amazing generosity, warm heart, wisdom, hard work, endless curiosity, sense of humor, zest for life are motivators for us to transform this house into an international home for creativity and self-exploration.
For Whom is Kamenov House?
This special house is intended for use by:
- Artists and creative people
- Academics on sabbatical and cultural researchers
- Digital nomads and innovators
- Small creative teams
Places to Visit in Zverino and Around
Kamenov House for Creative Thinking is located in Zverino village, 85km from Sofia, the the capital of at the unique and picturesque Iskar gorge, surrounded by beautiful mountains. The village is well connected with the capital by fast trains (1h 05min), regular trains and roads. Grocery stores and ATM machine are available in the village.
- Large outdoor swimming pools & bars “Oasis” in Zverino: located at 15min walking distance from the house, open from June 1st to September 1st.
- Monasteries: Cherepishki Monastery Seven Altars Monastery, and others.
- “Ribarnika” place: offering fresh fish meals, and/or an opportunity to catch your own fish, located at 15 min driving distance from the house.
- Varshets: one of the oldest and most popular resourts in Norther Bulgaria, famous for its curative mineral springs, mild mountain climate, and beautiful scenery. Located 55km from Zverino.
- Ritlite is a natural phenomenon, consisting of four almost parallel upright natural rocks that are over 120 million years old, 200 meters long.
- Diado Yoco Gleda monument and complex: built in 2005 on the name of the literature hero who manages to “see” the future of his homeland through the spiritual light of his belief in Bulgaria.
Amazing Facts about Zverino
- The etymology of the word Zverino comes from the name of a local haidutin – Neno, who first dared to move to the area with his young beautiful woman. The land there was fertile, but the people were afraid, as there were wolves. They named the first brave man who settled there “Zver Neno”, and later they called the whole village Zverino.
- The population is hospitable and celebrates holidays often, some of them are: Vasilyovden, Ivanovden and Yordanoven, Tsvetnica, Lazarovden, Easter.
- On June 4, the Botev Holidays in Zverino village ends up with a festive celebration and fireworks. It is celebrated the passage of the last Botev citizens along the Iskar River.
- November 7th is the gathering of the village (“sabor”) where every family has a rich table with tasty meals, wine and rakia, and invites guests.
- Zverino has a hymn! “Zverino, Zverino, you are the one of a kind in the world!”. Listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdGqP66bnGs
- Zverino Island in Antarctic is named after Zverino Village! It is the largest and westernmost island in the Meade group lying in the north entrance to McFarlane Strait in the South Shetland Islands. Read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zverino_Island
The 20th Century Comfort of Kamenov House
The two floors house has:
- 3 bedrooms-total capacity of 6 people, 2 dining/sitting rooms, kitchen with basic equipment, cute balcony with mountain view, and a basement.
- Old style simple furniture
- Bathroom and toilet indoor, hot water & electricity
- Bedding sheets, blankets and pillows are provided; visitors need to bring their own towels and necessities.
- No air conditioning and central heating. Old-fashion wood stove available, and electric radiators.
- Wi-Fi internet.
- Large garden with fruit trees.
- Two garage spaces and free parking spaces outside on the street.
Our house operates on a cooperative principle: you need to clean during your stay and before you leave.
We offer you to have the whole house for your exclusive use, or to have just a room, on the basis of donation that you need to discuss with us and send before your visit. Your contribution covers the basic house maintenance costs (Internet, water, electricity, security and management). We have created Kamenov Fund for further improvement of the house in order to make it an International Home for the future generations of creative people who wish to spend sometime in creative thinking, isolation from the busy lifestyle and self-exploration. You can contribute to the Fund also by leaving in the house your creative work or a souvenir from your country.
We have created an informal network of Kamenov Residence Alumni who can contact each other. In case you wish, please allow us (after your stay) to include your name, country, professional affiliation and email into the alumni list-it is for internal use only.
How to approach us?
If this unique opportunity appeals, please send us a short motivation letter to email@example.com and we can take it from there.
The official opening of the Kamenov House is 15 July 2018!
Mobile: +359 888 318130